January 2, 2012

DIY Gift for Nursery
This is a fun and personalized DIY baby nursery gift that's easy to do and will always be a one-off unique gift to give. When I gave this to my sister-in-law for my nephew's nursery she cried.
I think that says it all.

Here is what you'll need:

Creativity
Frame
Paper
Items to add texture - See below
Glue Dots
Scissors

First of all, choose your frame. There is no glass in the one I made here. But if you want you can get a shadow box frame with glass. This frame is 12" x 12" which is great because it's the same size as a lot of scrapbook paper that you'll use in your background. You can pick one of these up at Archivers, Hobby Lobby, or any scrapbooking store. Choose your paper. Anywhere you can find scrapbooking paper will offer you a wide array of designs and colors for any occassion you can imagine! They're usually two-sided as well, so you'll have lots of different patterns to use if you buy just a few sheets. The way I choose paper is by selecting my colors first. I like to focus on just 3 main colors. So pick your 3 colors you want to use and choose as many sheets as you want, making sure that when you hold them together that they coordinate and compliment each other.
I bought several different items to add texture, including lace with ribbon running through it, keys, twine, felt hearts,
and paper that had glitter circles.
These will add to the design in a way that paper alone just can't do.
I decided to spell out Charlie's name which came in a box of pre-cut letters. I also cut shapes in some of the papers. The way I chose the shapes was by looking at shape designs that were on the scrapbook papers I chose. I didn't plan the shapes or layout while at the store. I just grabbed what I thought would look good together and figured the design out while making it at home.
Part of the texture was a package of felt hearts. I didn't just want different textures with lace, ribbon, and felt...I wanted metals as well. So I found a package of skeleton keys at the scrapbook store and tied it to some twine which added even more texture. I keep saying texture because for a project like this it's important. Layers! Dimension! Textures! Here I added buttons as well, and little metal beads. The beads were flat on the back and self-adhesive.

Once you have everything lay it all out and take time figuring out how you want to layer and how you want to place all of your items. Add pictures if you want as well! I added one on my final piece. Use the glue dots to secure everything to the board. The glue dots are VERY sticky and will work a charm!

Personalize it even more by writing a message onto the back of the frame. It will be a keepsake to whomever is lucky to receive it.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions! Have fun being creative and seeing the reaction when you give this gift!

Casie xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Great posts Casie. I have so much Easter candy left I think I will make some pretzel rods with the kids. And I love the Spa blue color of the bathroom.

    ~Thiede

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooops that was supposed to go somewhere else. I do love the baby gift idea too. I am just not that creative.

    ~Thiede

    ReplyDelete